English for Examinations
Build confidence for your future
Focus on exam tasks and strategies
English for Examinations helps you prepare for an English language exam such as IELTS or Cambridge Advanced/Proficiency exams (FCE and CAE)
Our English for Examinations course is ideal if you would like to study an externally recognised qualification for academic study at university, improve your language skills or knowledge or focus on examination strategies to maximise your exam success. We give you the opportunity to select from Cambridge or IELTS language exams, depending on your individual learning goals.
English for Examinations
|Level:||From upper intermediate (CEF B2) to advanced (CEF C2)|
|Start dates 2022-23:||3 September 2022, 30 October 2022, 7 January 2023, 19 February 2023 and 7 May 2023|
|Start dates 2023-24:||2 September 2023, 29 October 2023, 7 January 2024, 18 February 2024 and 5 May 2024|
|Course length:||Full academic year or short courses available|
|Class size (maximum):||15 students|
|Lessons (hours):||24 (22) Monday to Friday|
|Lesson type:||20 in a group and 4 teacher-guided self-study sessions|
|Tuition fees:||From £344 per week|
|Accommodation:||College residence or homestay|
|Sample timetable:||English for Exams sample timetable|
|Course content:||Our teaching approach follows a Weekly Theme|
|Term dates:||English Language courses term dates|
|Optional extras:||Exam entry for IELTS/Cambridge £180 – £210|
|Lunch available – £49 per week|
|Breakfast and dinner everyday – £99 per week|
|Excursions/Activities – £5 – £30|
|Airport transfers on pick-up from Heathrow, Gatwick, Luton or Stansted – From £120|
|Courier charge for visa support documents – approx £25|
|Calculate course:||Calculate the cost of your course|
|Terms and Conditions|
Gain an English language qualification for university, for career, or for life
English for Exams offers:
- High staff-to-student ratio: Helps you stay focused on your English language studies in a dynamic, interactive group
- Exam preparation focus: Develops your language and skills for examinations and improves your test-day strategies, including practice ‘against the clock’
- Specialist academic support: Helps you develop your language accuracy in reading, writing, listening and speaking through our Open Learning Club and dedicated tutorials
- Quality teaching: Enriches your study experience as we have been teaching English to non-native speakers for over 60 years. We are also accredited by the Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI) and the British Council (BC). In 2021, 100% of students taking the IELTS exam passed with a score of 6.5 or above
- Interactive learning: Keeps your language development lively and interesting
- Specialist membership: A member of Quality English and English UK
- Extra academic support: Helps you improve your grammar, vocabulary, reading, writing, listening and speaking through our Open Learning Club and dedicated academic tutorials
- Our location in Oxford: Enhances your study experience, allowing you to immerse yourself in an academic community that promotes learning
- Weekly Themes: Makes learning more engaging and relevant and takes you outside the classroom on regular Study Visits
- Full activities programme: Enables you to take part in a range of activities and discover many places of cultural and historic interest
- Membership of a thriving international community: Connects you with like-minded friends from around the world
- Accredited by the British Council (BC) and the Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI) for the teaching of English
- Careers and Higher Education Advisor: Supports your progression to university and a rewarding career.
Preparation for IELTS and Cambridge language exams
Our English for Examinations course develops your English language skills for IELTS or Cambridge exams. It helps you develop your language competence in reading, writing, listening and speaking through structured activities. Our supportive teachers help you reach your potential in preparation for your language exam. This course covers language development, fluency in speaking, examination strategies and enables you to practise timed language tasks.
- IELTS: English for Examinations prepares you for the IELTS language exam. You may need to take an IELTS test if you are a non-native speaker. An English language qualification may be required for professional purposes or for further study at a university. The IELTS test is accepted in over 120 countries including the UK, USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. If you choose to study with us, you will benefit from being able to take your test in the city of Oxford.
- Cambridge Advanced/Proficiency: English for Examinations prepares you for the Cambridge language exams First Certificate in English (FCE), Cambridge Advanced English (CAE) and Cambridge Proficiency in English (CPE). As well as preparing for the Cambridge language test with us, you can also take the test at the College.
Course provision and the curriculum are excellent and are successful in promoting progression and in meeting the students’ needs – ISI PFE March 2019
English Language courses
We offer a range of language courses depending on your personal learning goals. We offer courses for career, life or an examination:
English language course enquiry
Please fill in this form to submit an enquiry on our English for Examinations course.
You may also wish to get in touch to arrange a campus tour or find out what it is like to live and study in the city of Oxford.
Back to top ^