English and Activities for Juniors
• fully international
• educational experience for improved grades at school
Have fun learning English this summer
Summer in Oxford — an experience not to be missed! It’s no surprise that places on our Junior English and Activities course are in such high demand.
|English Language lessons: 18 lessons per week (16.5 hours per week)
Language level: from elementary to advanced
NINE excursions are included in the price (full- and half-day during each three-week course)
|note: one lesson = 55 minutes|
- small, safe, secluded campus with grassy playing fields, tennis courts and woodland just minutes from centre of Oxford
- fully international environment (over 20 nationalities in each course)
- experienced, enthusiastic support team
- stimulating educational experience that brings improved grades at school
- plus an unforgettable programme of activities, sports and excursions
This is a truly international experience that encourages juniors to learn to live, play and study together.
Contact the Department
We are here to help!
Life on campus
Our junior campus is set in its own private grounds in an attractive residential part of Oxford. The campus has:
- three large houses with separate areas for boys and girls
- excellent teaching rooms and facilities
- modern dining room, common rooms, assembly hall
- attractive playing fields with outdoor heated swimming pool
The excellent staff-student ratio (1:8) is one of the main attractions for parents. The team is led by an experienced Course Director with the support of an Activity Director, Director of Studies and a Welfare Officer.
Students quickly settle in and learn who to ask and where to go for help.
Our Summer School is located just over an hour from London and the airports and close to many places of interest including the birthplace of William Shakespeare, the World Heritage sites at Stonehenge and Bath and the home of the Royal Family amongst many others. It’s a small, safe, cosmopolitan city and a great place to spend a summer!
Accommodation and meals
Learning to live together with other students from all over the world is, for many, the most valuable part of the experience:
- older children usually sleep in a single bedroom whilst larger rooms are shared by the younger children
- boys and girls are accommodated separately and members of staff live in nearby rooms so there is always someone available during the day or night
- we supply all bed linen and towels and there is a regular laundry service for personal items
- we encourage students to keep rooms tidy.
All meals, breakfast, lunch and dinner, are taken together in the school dining room:
- the menu is designed to be both healthy and nutritious with vegetarian options, plenty of fresh fruit and salad bar
- packed lunches are provided when your child goes on excursions
- there is a small shop on the school campus for snacks at other times
We arrange transfers between the airport and Oxford at the request of the parent. On arrival at the school, the Director and team members help your child to settle in:
- by welcoming each child personally
- by looking after passports, tickets and pocket money
- by showing your child to their bedroom and introducing them to new friends
- by providing snacks and meals all day
Transfers to and from London Heathrow (within the times scheduled below) are included in the price of the course:
|Arrivals — Sundays at Heathrow
from 06:00 to 21:00
|Departures — Saturdays at Heathrow
Additional charges apply for other times and other airports, train or bus stations
|Airport transfers (one way)|
|London Heathrow (LHR)||£115|
|London Luton (LTN)||£135|
|London Gatwick (LGW)||£170|
|London Stansted (STN)||£165|
If you reserve an Unaccompanied Minor (UM) service with the airline, you must also reserve the St Clare’s UM service. We charge an additional £70 for this, which covers the additional costs for our staff to collect your child from the airline on arrival and check-in your child on departure
Dates and fees 2019
|7 July – 27 July||three||£3717|
|28 July – 17 August||three||£3717|
Fees for junior English courses (10-15 years) include:
- supervised accommodation in dormitories on our campus sharing with four to six students
- full board — three meals per day (breakfast, lunch, and dinner)
- English language classes
- teaching materials including a student folder
- certificate of attendance and academic report
- bed linen and towels
- personal laundry
- three excursions per week including entrance fees
- full programme of social, cultural, and sporting activities in the afternoons and evenings
- airport transfers from and to London Heathrow Airport
- supervision from arrival to departure
- travel and medical insurance (download policy details)
- please read our Terms & Conditions
Not included in the fees:
- damage deposit of £20 (payable on arrival; refundable at the end of stay)
- personal spending money (for souvenirs, for example. We advise £50 per week minimum)
- airport transfers from LONDON GATWICK, STANSTED, LONDON CITY AIRPORT, AND LUTON
- express courier fees £25 (if required for visa documents)
- Unaccompanied Minor (UM) service — a fee of £70 will be charged for each service
Do you have any questions?
These are some of the questions parents often ask.
When should I arrive at St Clare’s?
Junior courses begin on Sundays (and end on Saturdays).
Are airport transfers provided?
Yes, we arrange transfers between the airport and Oxford at the request of the parent. Transfers to and from London Heathrow LHR (within the times scheduled below) are included in the price of the course:
|Arrivals on Sundays at LHR
from 09:00 to 20:00
|Departures on Saturdays at LHR
Additional charges apply for other times and other airports* and for Unaccompanied Minors (UMs)*.
What happens on Arrival Day?
On arrival at the school, the Director and team members help your child to settle in. There is a personal welcome for each child and snacks available all day. Please note: passports, tickets and pocket money are also collected on the first day for safe-keeping during the course.
What happens on Departure Day?
On the last day of the course, staff members check flight times and taxi transfer arrangements. Passports and any remaining pocket money are returned and students accompanied to the airports in good time for flights.
When do I start my lessons?
There are 18 lessons over four days each week of the course. (Please note: one lesson = 55 minutes). Activities and excursions fill the rest of the week so that there need never be a dull moment!
Who will be responsible for my child?
Each member of staff is carefully chosen. All are properly qualified and experienced and all have been officially checked for their suitability to work with children. Many of them return to work for us summer after summer. The Course Director is supported by the Activity Director, Director of Studies, Welfare Officer and a team of committed teachers and enthusiastic activity organisers.
Is insurance included in the course fees?
Yes. The course fees include travel insurance cover with an independent insurance company organised by St Clare’s brokers. If you need to make any claims on the policy you must contact the insurance company directly. Some parents choose to buy additional insurance for their children, in addition. For full details please download: Travel Insurance Policy.
How many excursions are there?
There are three excursions each week or nine over the three week course. For many children, these excursions are the most memorable part of their stay! How much pocket money will I need? We think £50 per week is plenty. You will also need £20 for your damage deposit. Can I share a room with a friend? St Clare’s believes strongly in fostering international understanding. For this reason we do not normally allow students of the same country to share a room.
How can I contact my child?
The course office is open every day between 09:00 and 21:00. Details of telephone numbers will be sent to all students before arrival. There is also a mobile number which can be used in emergencies or at night.
Who washes my child’s personal laundry?
All bedding and towels are provided. We also arrange for your child’s personal laundry to be washed. It is a great help if you can supply a laundry bag with your child’s name on it.
What does my child need to bring?
- valid Passport or ID card
- pocket money
- soap, shampoo, toothbrush
- swimming costume and towel
- sports trainers
- clothes for sport
- warm pullover or top
- water-proof jacket (in case it rains!)
We encourage you to contact us with any questions or enquiries you might have about the course and where your child will live. Please email or telephone us direct Monday – Friday between 09:00-17:00 GMT